“My goal today is to be better than yesterday so wait until you see what I do "tomorrow."” - Alien Ness

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A short something on bboying

Bboying. Just one word. Nothing has been more influential in my life than this type of dance. 
The first time I started to encounter bboying was in sophomore year when a group of my friends started a club for dancing. We were all amateurs and didn’t really know what we were doing. By the end of the semester, there were only two people left. Terence and I encouraged each other to keep going while trying to learn moves from youtube. By the end of sophomore year, I was all alone. I started not only watching more videos but also reading just about anything people wrote about the dance. I studied the music, the history, the culture, and so on. I found out there’s so much more to bboying than just flashy tricks and powermoves most people like watching. There’s also style and flavor to it.
       Bboying changed me because I saw that it represents everything that I want in this modern and restricted world. I don’t want to be bound to rules and laws; I want to be free. Bboying gave that to me; the variety of moves that people can do to a beat is extraordinary. It made me understand that there are no limits to what we can do in this world. The only restriction is that we believe we can’t do it; it’s always too difficult or takes too long to do it. Just like everything else in life, the first step to Bboying is the hardest, and it takes time to get a hang of it, then even longer to perfect it. 
       What most people don’t understand is that Bboying is an aggressive yet a very peaceful activity. It’s a gesture of a fight, without actually touching someone. But with the same intensity or a battle of a gang. Which leads to why people don’t respect Bboying as much as ballet and other types of dance. Even though Bboying did come from drugs and gangs, but it was because they wanted to change and be better.  I want to be better. I really think Bboying deserves much more credit than it does today.

No comments:

Post a Comment